You want to create successful corporate events that will be talked about for years to come. But great events don’t just happen. Instead, a lot of planning and creativity goes into that one special moment.
While every event is different, here are some basics you should consider to ensure that poor planning doesn’t let you down on the day.
- Define your audience. Recognising and understanding your target audience is essential when planning your events. The more you know about who you are talking to, the more targeted you can be with your messaging and the more successful your event is likely to be.
- Set out what you want to achieve. One of the very first things you should do is to establish tangible goals and objectives. Establish why you are organising an event because the result doesn’t just have to look good, it also needs to support your wider business objectives. Once you understand this, you can ensure that every part of your event is optimised for success.
- Identify how you are going to measure success. Establish quantifiable metrics of success (KPIs) to make sure your event delivers what you need it to.
- Establish your agenda. If you want people to attend your events, you have to give them something worth giving up their valuable time for. One of the first and most crucial tasks - and one that will define the success of the event - is planning an interesting, engaging and above all relevant agenda. You need to find the right messages to attract and influence your audience. Find out more about agenda setting and event content strategy.
- Decide on your event format. Before you can go ahead and agree on a venue, it’s vital that you agree how you will run your event to make sure the space you choose is suitable. To create a buzz and get people interested in what you are doing, consider shaking things up with collaborative event formats.
- Choose the right venue. The choice of venue can make or break your event and can have serious financial implications if you get it wrong. As such, finding the right venue is a professional job, and it can make all the difference between a highly successful event and a decidedly average one. Once you have picked your ideal venue check it is available when you need it and negotiate contracts. Find out more about our venue search and location services.
- Choose a theme. Having a theme for your event helps to get people excited and makes it stand out. But be sure to choose something imaginative and inspiring. If you already have a clear idea of what you want, we will work with you and your venue to ensure your event is a resounding success. However, if you are looking for something different we can provide you with a range of production ideas and concepts for your event. Find out more.
- Think about the bigger picture. Events don’t happen in isolation. To be successful, you must have an awareness of the wider social, economic, and political factors that could impact your event and your audience.
- Allocate roles. To make sure your event is a success be sure to identify who is going to be responsible for what up front. To reduce the burden, an event management partner can take full responsibility over all event management or work in partnership with your in-house team.
- Set your budget. Note down everything your event needs. From venue, décor, food and drink and entertainment to AV, guest speakers and marketing. Once you are sure you have covered everything, start sourcing quotes to find out how much everything is going to cost and where savings – or indulgences – can be made.
Event Planning Checklist
We know that you want to create successful corporate events that will be talked about for years to come (for all the right reasons). But how can you make sure that poor planning doesn’t let you down on the day?
Brought to you from the experts at Apex, our handy checklist will help you to reach your event goals and achieve a truly positive experience.
In this event planning checklist for event profs
- Planning the event. Establish your event goals, choose a venue and set your agenda
- Organising the event. Finalise all the details and add some magic
- Promoting the event. Create and launch a winning publicity campaign
- Hosting the event. Entertain, inspire and inform
- Promotion. Attract and retain visitors ahead of your competitors
- After the event. Capitalise on your event presence, long after it is over.
At Apex, we create and deliver objective focused corporate events that look fantastic. With 30 years' experience in this area, our philosophy is based on exceptional service, expertise and innovative solutions. Contact us today on +44 (0)1625 429370 or email [email protected] to find out more or for an exploratory conversation.